Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Strong Purpose to Defend

I came across a great scripture in Alma 43 today, verse 9. I know it's not from the New Testament but I wanted to share.
"And now the design of the Nephites was to support their lands, and their houses, and their wives, and their children, that they might preserve them from the hands of their enemies; and also that they might preserve their rights and their privileges, yea, and also their liberty, that they might worship God according to their desires." I love this verse. The Nephites were working hard to defend themselves against the Lamanites. Their reason in doing so was to uphold their homes and families, whereas the Lamanites wanted monarchy and power.

I have been thinking about protecting and upholding families in more ways than one- First of all, by being prepared for emergencies: small or big. One way to do this is to have 72 hour kits for everyone, with food, water, games and appropriate clothes for each person. By following this God given counsel we can defend our lives and homes and liberty should we find ourselves in dire straits. Spence and I are on the Emergency Prep committee in our ward & I am in charge of overseeing this aspect of preparation so it's really on my brain. Caleb pointed out the kit Puentes have the other day and I know for sure he's proud of it. Spencer and I are also continuing to build ours up.

A second way we can defend and uphold our families is through spiritual preparation. This is important too. If we have been feeding our testimonies and praying and helping others then we will be morally strong, with oil in our lamps shoudl we find ourselves in a tough setting. Anyway, can anyone think of other ways we can defend and uphold our families? Love you guys :)

2 comments:

  1. LInds, I love your list of things to include in a 72 hour kit - food, water and GAMES :) That would definitely be on my list too!
    I think we can defend and uphold our families not only physically and spiritually but emotionally. Speaking well to each other and of each other is a really important way to defend and uphold each other.

    ReplyDelete