Sunday 17 April 2011

Scripture Power



Our Primary president has chosen the song for the primary children to learn this month - "Scripture Power". Here's a link to it if you want to listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOvkLfobHgc. When I first heard it I really hated it. I hated the tune (I still kinda hate the tune) and I hated the way the song was written...and I even hated the title. I'm the music person in primary and this song says:

Because I want to be like the Savior, and I can

I'm reading His instructions, I'm following His plan

Because I want the power His word will give to me

I'm changing how I live, I'm changing what I'll be


I'll find the sword of truth in each scripture that I learn.

I'll take the shield of faith from these pages that I turn.

I'll wear each vital part of the armor of the Lord

And fight my daily battles, and win a great reward


CHORUS

Scripture power keeps me safe from sin

Scripture power is the power to win!

Scripture power, everyday I need

The power that I get each time I read.

I read Ephesians 6:11 (below) and got the kids to put on a bunch of Jordan's hockey gear as we talked about how reading the scriptures gives you strength and protection. The kids loved singing this song. The words are kind of cheesy and I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Ted Flanders' kids singing this on the Simpsons - but the words are true and the message is so very important that I love this song despite it's package. I also love watching the kids belt this song, they're not snobs, they just love what is good, true and kinda fun. I think that's admirable.


11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

2 comments:

  1. Char, I want to be in primary and have you by my chorister :)The youtube was hilarious!
    When I taught my NT seminary students this scripture they learned that all the armor is defensive, except for the sword or the word of God. That is the one piece of the armor that you can actually use to fight back. Christ used this weapon often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! This song caught on in Slovenia too when I taught it to the kids (it was the most recently translated so it was new and fun...) the words are slightly different to rhyme in Slovene. Translated literally back into English the chorus says, 'The Scriptures protect us, they help us and give us strength. We need this strength each day. We get it when we read them.' I love literally translating songs and when I read the literal English translation it gives me new insights and makes me think harder about the words because I'm not caught in the rhyme or an annoying melody. haha. It's a good message. How fun you're the primary choristor!!

    ReplyDelete