Wednesday 16 February 2011



1 Corinthians 3:19 "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God."

I've been thinking lately how some common ways of life nowadays have gone far off from God's ways... Mothers hiring someone else to raise their kids when they really don't need to work, people living on credit so they can have the latest trendy clothes, lots of people working way way too much and not spending time with family... I'm not saying that work or fashion in themselves are bad, but I am saying that I've seen people lose balance and that it's easy to go along with what's right in front of you instead of seeking out what God thinks about it.

I was at the Doctor's and read this quote from the bulletin board at reception:

“Good Morning, this is God. I will be handling all your problems today and I won’t need your help.” I liked it, was also inspired by Dad's post, and connected this in with my New Testament reading about how man’s ways are not God’s ways.

James 4:4 ...know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

I thought about how so many times in my life I think I know what's best for me. In reality, I discover each time that by putting my faith and trust in God, He'll make my life better than I ever can. He knows the best timing and manner in which to deliver blessings. Look at my recent marriage, for example. If I had not held out for a little while, I wouldn't have met Spence! God knows what I should do and has a plan for me. This still requires doing everything in my power to make these things happen, but it’s a matter of letting Him take charge.

I also recently reread a short story by Tolstoy. It's a good one and really highlights that it's tragic when someone just 'follows the crowd' as opposed to listening to the 'little voice' that's God: 'The Death of Ivan Ilych:'

http://books.google.com/books?id=49qJW9M8O0wC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+death+of+ ivan+ilych,+tolstoy&hl=en&ei=955ITfPvEIGesQOgsNGfAg&sa= X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v= onepage&q&f=false

Anyway, I think God knows more than man so why not listen to Him?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Linds - My favorite all-time scripture is 'Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

    ReplyDelete