Thursday 3 March 2011

The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock


I don't know where everyone else is in their NT scripture reading but I'm happy to be reading in Luke right now - love the stories and parables.

Gramps and I have been looking at houses in the Belgravia area of Edmonton and so have spent time looking at basements. Almost all the houses there are at least 50 years old and there are more than a few of them that have cracks in the foundations. A lot of houses are purchased with the idea of remodeling so in order to do that a solid foundation is key.

I thought of this scripture in Luke 6, that I read just today -

47Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and adoeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

48He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

The solid foundations of prayer, scripture study and temple attendance help us to face challenges and disappointments. But that solid foundation also helps us to improve, enhance, and beautify our own lives and the lives of others.

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading about temple construction in the church, and how they dig the foundation 2-3 times deeper that most building codes require. This is because the foundation is the part that gives the building its greatest strength and will help it endure.

    ReplyDelete